SureFire has announced what it claims to be the brightest LED flashlight ever, the M3LT CombatLight, delivering a max of 400 lumens. (although the Fenix TK-30 and TK-40 models are LED powered and claim to deliver 630 and 650 lumens respectively?). In any case, 400 lumens is plenty bright for most uses.
Here is a little info on the M3LT from SureFire’s web site:
Max Output 400 .0 lumens Low Output / Runtime 70 .0 lumens / 8.5 hours Tactical Runtime* 1 .7 hours Length 8 .7 inches Bezel Diameter 2 .5 inches Weight w/Batteries 10 .9 ounces Batteries 3 123A (included)
A large-diameter Turbohead, a Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens, and an ultra high-output 4-die LED emitter come together to produce a powerful, focused beam suitable for spotlight/searchlight applications—yet the light is less than 9 inches long. The high-performance LED is virtually immune to failure since there is no filament to burn out or break, and it provides a far longer runtime per set of batteries when compared to incandescent lights of similar lumen output. They come standard with a tough aerospace aluminum body with a Mil-Spec hard-anodized finish for extreme durability. These 4-die LED illumination tools also feature an ergonomic CombatGrip configuration, suited for flashlight/handgun techniques and provide a secure hold with cold, wet, or gloved hands. All models feature tactical switching— a pushbutton switch that (1) is located on the tailcap for fast no-look access and for use with flashlight/handgun techniques, and (2) always activates maximum light output when fully depressed.Features
- Virtually indestructible 4-die LED emitter regulated to maximize output and runtime
- Two output levels—high for maximum light, low for extended runtime
- Turbohead TIR lens produces tight, extended-reach beam
- Coated, tempered window resists impact and thermal shock, maximizes light transmission
- CombatGrip for secure hold in all conditions
- High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability
- Two-stage tactical tailcap switch—press for momentary-on low, press further for high, twist for constant-on at either level
- Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
- Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life
SureFire has a great reputation among it’s users for producing high quality, dependable lights. The M3LT is priced in what I consider the ‘serious flashlight enthusiast’ category at an MSRP of $450.00.